LOCATION OF POSITION: Monroe One BOCES; Various Locations
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 Month Position, Full Time & Per Diem Substitutes, for the 2019-2020 School Year
STARTING DATE: Continuous Recruitment
1. Assist the classroom teacher by performing non-instructional duties to support students with disabilities individually, in small groups and/or test proctoring.
2. Assist with general supervision of students in a multitude of settings including, but not limited to classroom, hallways, lunchroom and playground.
3. Assist with classroom management of students and monitoring individual student behavior through crisis intervention by implementing positive behavior management strategies or others supported by the program.
4. Perform physical intervention techniques (Therapeutic Crisis Intervention) when necessary. Willing and able to be trained and pass all components of TCI.
5. Assist with the preparation of classroom materials, projects, demonstrations and displays.
6. Assist with clerical and record keeping duties or other general housekeeping duties as directed by supervisor.
7. Utilize own special skills and abilities by assisting the instructional program in such areas as foreign language, arts, crafts, music, recreation, vocational or other similar subject areas – when requested/appropriate.
8. Use or willing to learn basic computer skills including email.
9. Ride the school bus with students and support students in community-based learning activities (work experience, field trips, vocational training).
10. May be required to transport self in personal vehicle to off campus community-based learning activities.
11. Assist students in therapeutic and/or traditional outdoor chlorinated pool.
12. Assist in self-help, personal care activities and mobility for students with disabilities.
13. Willing to continue on-going professional development in support of program placement.
14. Perform other duties related to specific programs.
15. Attend meetings as necessary.
1. Civil Service eligibility for Teacher Aide/Paraeducator required: Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma, plus EITHER:
A. One (1) year of full time or its part time paid or volunteer equivalent experience working in a clerical capacity; OR,
B. One (1) year of full time or its part time paid or volunteer equivalent experience working with children; OR,
C. Possession of a certificate of completion of a course of Child Care Through an occupational school, the American Red Cross or similar agency; OR,
D. Combination of experience as defined by the limits of (A), (B), and (C) above.
2. Work collaboratively with team members to effectively support all students in program assignments.
3. Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate with adults and students.
4. Physically able to perform essential functions of the position (with or without reasonable accommodation) including, but not limited to:
Performing physical intervention techniques.
Lifting/carrying/moving up to 50 lbs.
Standing, stooping, bending, crouching, squatting, kneeling, and/or reaching.
Supporting/transporting students in wheelchairs and/or providing assistance with transfer, ambulation and positioning.
Escorting and/or walking with (in some cases running after) students in multiple settings such as in community based activities, nature walks and school buildings
5. Must provide a copy of high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (applications submitted without this documentation will not be considered).