LOCATION OF POSITION: Monroe One BOCES, Various Locations
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 Month, Full Time, Anticipated Openings for the 2019-2020 School Year
STARTING DATE: Continuous Recruitment
1. Receive daily assignment between 6:15 and 8:00 AM, if not scheduled ahead of time, report to assignment location, and keep in contact with office manager during the day.
2. Substitute for department staff including the following positions: Signing Skills Coaches, Notetakers/Captionists, and Interpreters. Provide detailed information to absent staff regarding events/progress during his/her absence.
3. Substitute in other BOCES programs as needed.
4. Become familiar with all staff schedules, substitute information sheets, and position duties, which include shadowing some staff prior to subbing for them.
5. Assist students who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or hearing, and use sign language to develop the necessary skills to successfully participate in the mainstream.
6. Perform related responsibilities as agreed upon with department supervisors.
7. Participate in professional development activities (upgrading signing, interpreting and notetaking skills by viewing tapes, interacting with the Deaf community, taking related classes, attending workshops, etc.)
8. Read and respond to emails on a daily basis.
9. Attend scheduled Signing Skills Coaches and Deaf Education staff meetings.
1. High School Graduate; Associate Degree preferred.
2. Advanced sign language Skills.
3. Interpreting experience preferred.
4. Trained in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI), or willingness to be trained.
5. Legible handwriting.
6. Able to adapt to a variety of subjects and teaching styles and to organize lessons into clear, concise notes.
7. Good working knowledge of computers (windows operating system, word processing applications, email, up-loading and down-loading attachments).
8. Desire to work with students with multiple disabilities.
9. Experience in support service programs with deaf/hearing impaired and special education programs preferred.
10. Physically able to perform essential functions of the position (with or without reasonable accommodations).