This is for an Extended School Year (ESY) program and is considered a BOCES ESY position. Employees are encouraged to also apply to all other positions that they are qualified for such as those found on the Summer Work posting which are not BOCES ESY positions.
LOCATION OF POSITION: Monroe One BOCES, Various Locations
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Full Time position July 8, 2019 - August 16, 2019; Work hours TBD by location. For all BOCES Programs Pre and Post summer trainings and set-up as directed.
Mandatory Summer Set-Up Meetings:
eSTART & O’Connor Academy = June 5, 2019
Transition & Employment Program = June 11, 2019
Creekside (BPA) & 12:1:4 DB School Age = June 12, 2019
Creekside (BUP) & 12:1:4 DB School Age, Bird Morgan & 8:1:1 Elementary & Middle, Rush Henrietta Integrated = June 19, 2019
1. Facilitate Paraeducator meetings and training in cooperation with Administrator.
2. Provide support to all Paraeducator staff through positive problem solving strategies and professionalism.
3. Assist with orientation, training, mentoring and evaluation of new Paraeducators.
4. May assist with the recruitment of new Paraeducators.
5. Instruct and mentor new Paraeducators.
6. Instruct and mentor existing Paraeducators in new assignments.
7. Attend faculty meetings, staffing and afterschool events as necessary.
8. Assist with filling staff absences if necessary.
9. Assist with parent, staff and student activities.
10. Review and update staff handbook.
11. Work collaboratively with other Master Paraeducators.
12. Other duties as determined by Administrator.
1. Civil Service eligibility for Teacher Aide/Paraeducator required: Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma, plus EITHER:
A. One (1) year of full time or its part time paid or volunteer equivalent experience working in a clerical capacity; OR,
B. One (1) year of full time or its part time paid or volunteer equivalent experience working with children; OR,
C. Possession of a certificate of completion of a course of Child Care Through an occupational school, the American Red Cross or similar agency; OR,
D. A combination of experience as defined by the limits of (A), (B), and (C) above.
2. Strong organizational skills.
3. Strong interpersonal skills.
4. Ability to plan and present professional development around Paraeducator job responsibilities.
5. Training in Crisis Prevention Strategies (e.g. TCI, SCIP).
6. A variety of experiences working with children with intense emotional, behavioral and developmental disabilities.
7. A variety of experiences working with elementary and secondary students.
8. Physically able to perform essential functions of the position (with or without reasonable accommodation) including, but not limited to:
• Physical intervention techniques.
• Supporting/transporting students in wheelchairs and/or providing assistance with transfer, ambulation and positioning.
• Walk with, or run after students in multiple settings such as in community based activities, nature walks and buildings.
• Lifting and moving students are required in many programs.
9. Applicants must commit to working the full 30-day Summer Program.
10. Mandatory attendance at ESY orientation.
Employment is contingent upon student enrollment and availability of programs. First Consideration to Current BOCES Employees if applications are submitted by 4/09/2019.